Caernarfon Castle is a medieval fortress in Caernarfon, Gwynydd, North-West Wales. It has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1986.
King Edward 1st of England conquered Wales in 1277 and set about fortifying the rebellious area of North Wales. He began work on the strategically important Caernarfon Castle in 1283, when the Prince of Wales, Llywelyn ap Gruffydd, mounted an uprising.
The Edwardian town and castle acted as the administrative centre of North Wales and as a result the defences were built on a grand scale.
In 1911, Caernarfon was used for the investiture of the Prince of Wales for the first time. He later became King Edward V111. In 1969 the precedent was repeated with the investiture of Charles, Prince of Wales.
The Weeping Window of Poppies is a cascade comprising several thousand handmade ceramic poppies seen pouring from the ramparts to the ground below, originally part of the display at the Tower of London in 2014.
In November 2016, Caernarfon castle became the first venue in Wales to host the sculpture, to mark the centenary of the First World War.
The Wales for Peace Project explored the question: “In the hundred years since WW1, how has Wales contributed in the search for Peace?”
Caernarfon Castle is under the guardianship of Cadw, the historic environment service of the Welsh government. [Cadw is the Welsh verb ‘to protect’]